Its long time since I wrote my last blog. So here I am back to you all.
In this blog I am going explain how I added my own icon to the application which was showing a question mark in the natty narwhal unity launcher.
So lets start.
1. Right click on the free space on the Desktop and select “Create Launcher…”
2. A window opens as shown below:
3. Fill in the Name(choose the best that suits your application).
4. In the Command field either type or browse the application you want to create the launcher for.
5. Give the Comment if you like.
I did it for the Eclipse IDE which I downloaded from http://www.eclipse.org/helios/ website. It looked like the following after I filled everything.
6. Now click the icon(spring like icon on the top left side) to change and browse the icon you want in the launcher. Mine was /home/manohar/eclipse/icon.xpm and it looked like as follows :
Click OK and you will get a launcher on your Desktop with the same Name and icon.
Now move this launcher to /usr/share/applications/ folder where almost all applications are found. Doing this will help you search the application from the Ubuntu search option.
I moved the launcher with the following command :
manohar@manohar-natty:~$ sudo mv Desktop/Eclipse IDE.desktop /usr/share/applications/
Now double click the launcher in /usr/share/applications/ folder. It will open the application (in my case Eclipse IDE). It will show the icon that you had selected.
If you want to keep the application on the launcher :
Right click in the launcher icon and select “Keep In Launcher” option.
Now enjoy your application.
Manohar Bhattarai (मनोहर भट्टराई)
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manohar-Bhattarai/130973796914160
Twitter : http://twitter.com/mhrbhattarai
Identica : http://identi.ca/manoharbhattarai